2011年6月7日星期二

Tigers' Danny Worth enjoying early success, big-league perks

Tigers infielder Danny Worth will take whatever playing time he can get in the big leagues. And, whatever free tennis shoes he can get, too.

Worth received a gently worn pair of Nike tennis shoes from manager Jim Leyland after Leyland complained his two-day-old shoes were unflattering. Worth mentioned his fondness of the Detroit Tigers-themed sneakers during a workout session prior to Monday’s game.

“We were in the weight room and (Leyland) was complaining about how ugly they were,” Worth said. “I told him that those are the best shoes I’ve seen around.”

Worth said he didn’t mind that his new-fangled shoes were a half-size larger than the size 10 ½ shoe he is accustomed to wearing. He said he considered Leyland’s kind gesture a perk to playing in the majors.

“I told him I’d take them off his hand if he ever wanted to throw them away, so he just gave them to me,” Worth said.

Worth was called up on May 27 from Triple-A Toledo to fill Scott Sizemore’s roster spot. He has five hits in 10 at-bats, including a two-run double that he lined to deep right center Monday.

“I was working a lot down in Triple-A trying to drive the ball more,” Worth said. “It’s good to see some results, even though I’m not trying to hit for power. I’m just trying to get singles and get on base.”